ISRO will launch new SSLV-D2 rocket with 3 satellites today, know why it is so special
Read Time:1 Minute, 51 Second
Chennai, Agency. ISRO New Rocket Launch Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is all set to launch the second version of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV-D2) today. It will be launched today at 9.18 am from the first launchpad of Sriharikota rocket port in Andhra Pradesh. According to ISRO, this rocket will place three satellites – ISRO’s Earth Observation Satellite (EOS-07), Janus-1 of America’s ANTARIS and AzaadiSat-2 of Chennai’s Space Kidz India in a circular orbit of 450 km.
Launching is special because
- ISRO has developed SSLV with the capability to lift 550 kg to Low Earth Orbit (LEO). It is based on the market for placing small satellites in Earth orbit.
- The total mass of SSLV-D2 will be 175.2 kg, consisting of 156.3 kg EOS, 10.2 kg Janus-1 and 8.7 kg AzaadiSat-2.
- The SSLV rocket provides low-cost access to space, provides short time and flexibility in accommodating multiple satellites and accomplishes its task with minimal launch infrastructure.
- According to ISRO the cost of the SSLV rocket is around Rs 56 crore and it is 34 meters tall. The weight of the rocket is 120 tonnes. Around 13 minutes into its flight, the SSLV rocket will eject EOS-07 and Janus, the other two satellites soon after. ISRO told that all the three satellites will be released at an altitude of 450 km.
- Explain that this rocket launching is also special because SSLV’s first flight SSLV-D1 failed on August 7 last year.
- When ISRO tried to trace the failure, it was found that the launch was affected due to vibrations during the separation of the second stage. The rocket’s software was able to eject the satellites, but the ejections were made in the wrong orbit. The satellites also lacked the necessary velocity to be in a stable orbit, which caused the satellites to go in the wrong direction.
One thought on “ISRO will launch new SSLV-D2 rocket with 3 satellites today, know why it is so special”
[…] ISRO will launch new SSLV-D2 rocket with 3 satellites today, know why it is so special […]